Escape the hustle and bustle of the city, a short 15 minute train ride from London Bridge, for a rare opportunity to step inside an array of prestigious addresses in Dulwich. Meet people from all walks of life as you wander around artists stunning collections within their cosy homes and gardens, each with their own unique character, beauty and ambiance.
Dulwich offers countryside feel with its pretty shops, chic restaurants, classic pubs, a popular Saturday farmers market and quirky cafés. The area includes Tudor, Georgian, Edwardian and Victorian houses and much green open space.
Over 250 artists open their doors for Dulwich Festival ‘Artists Open House’ over two weekends in May. Each house has a distinctive signpost outside for you to easily recognise and identify them as part of the festival. The homes get transformed into an exhibition gallery space for the weekend.
Our quirky itinerary highlights (apart from being nosy in the artists homes) include viewing tiny porcelain globes, upcycled chairs, neon lights, tiled gardens lined with beautiful alliums and pond cottages. Some of the properties we viewed boasted wonderful views over London. We’ve included our top festival recommendations and pictures for you below.
If you missed the festival fear not, Dulwich features as part of the London Festival of Architecture with an instillation in place at Dulwich Picture Gallery throughout June and Open House London 16 & 17 September.
Here’s our Festival quirky itinerary…
- Property #1 and #2 Pond Cottages SE21 7LE
Beautiful cottages situated a stones throw away from Dulwich Village. We loved the kinetic sculptures.
- Property #7 SE21 7DN 11 Desenfans Rd
The garden tiles in this property were fabulous surrounded by the beautiful stone sculpture ornaments from Zimbabwe hand carved and hand polished.
- Property #16 The London Chair Collective 144 Rosendale Road, SE21 8LG
View up cycling at its quirky best
- Property # 18 147 Rosendale Rd SE21 8HE
Gardener showing crafts with natural found objects
- Time for a pit stop at Property #22 Volcano Cofee Works Gas Gallery 40 Martell Rd SE21 8EN After your coffee head upstairs in the artists workshops to see a spectacular view of London.
- Property #38 20 Tabert Rd SE22
See mysterious paintings and meet the friendly cat!
- Property #44 Ian Dunn Woodwork and design SE22 9BN
Bespoke cabinetmakers and unique Brilliant neon
- Property #46 41A Archdale Rd SE22 9HL
Quirky bespoke creations set in an amazing house
- Property #54 46A Heber Rd SE22 9JZ
Limited edition prints of the Barbican, we had house envy in this place!
- Property #93 Blenheim Court, Peckham SE15 4QL
Don’t miss a visit to see the tiny Porcelain Globes
- Property #96 87 Lyndhurst Way S15 4PT
Street Scenes of vibrant Peckham neighbourhood including Franks
- Property #155 Havelock Walk Studios SE23 3HG
Quirkyness around every corner.